eCommerce without limits
We believe that your passion for creating shouldn’t be restricted by your choice of ecommerce software. Easy Digital Downloads gives you unlimited products with no hidden listing fees, unlimited products, unlimited transactions, and provides unlimited possibilities.
Too often, digital creators must choose between powerful and cheap. Not with Easy Digital Downloads. It’s easy to start with limitless possibilities, which is why some of the most popular digital ecommerce businesses trust Easy Digital Downloads with their store.
Whether it is selling software like WordPress plugins or themes, documents and spreadsheets, photography, ebooks, music, graphics or digital artwork, videos, or any other type of media file, Easy Digital Downloads provides a complete ecommerce platform that just works, so you can get back to creating.
Easy Digital Downloads is an invaluable tool that I use throughout my business and for my clients. I love its simplicity yet powerful features and library of useful extensions. EDD stands out as one of the only affordable options for scaling a business centered around providing digital ecommerce sites to its clients.
Mark Hunter – Mark of Approval
Within minutes of starting the Setup Wizard, you’ll have access to the base features you’ll need to start selling:
- Complete shopping cart – Customers can browse your products, add items to their cart, and checkout when ready. Or they can bypass the cart using Buy Now buttons from your product page.
- Flexible payment methods – Your customers can pay by card, PayPal, PayPal Credit, Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Link by Stripe.
- Highly customizable and clean checkout – Buyers can easily complete their purchase, directly on your site’s checkout page with the included WordPress Block.
- Complete customer management – View and manage detailed records of all customers and their purchase history.
- Detailed eCommerce reports – Keep track of your earnings, refunds, sales, average order value, and more.
- Secure file protection – Prevent unauthorized visitors from accessing your product files without paying.
- Discount codes – Boost conversions by offering potential customers a coupon or discount code which can be applied at checkout.
- Works with any theme – Let your chosen WordPress theme handle the design. Easy Digital Downloads will fit right in.
- And much more!
Localized for your language
Easy Digital Downloads has been translated into more than two dozen languages and new translations are being added all the time, letting you have a natural, native experience, regardless of where you live. If your language is not available, we welcome translation contributions! See our FAQ.
EDD gives me a solid platform out of the box, with the flexibility of being able to customize anything I want or need to. The best of both worlds!
Brian Hogg – SellingPlugins.com
Support for many payment gateways, including Stripe and PayPal
The internet has made it possible for anyone to sell their products to a world-wide audience. No matter where you live, Easy Digital Downloads can be your e-Commerce solution. We offer integrations for the most common merchant processors.
Offer multiple payment methods, and start selling today:
- Credit Cards/Bank Cards – Via Stripe
- Apple Pay
- Google Pay
- Link by Stripe
- PayPal Credit
Payment gateways supported through free or paid extensions:
- Stripe Pro (reduced fees and preapproved payments functionality)
- PayPal Commerce Pro (unbranded card payments and additional payment methods)
What can I say? Stripe is my go-to payment processor, and without this [integration] I don’t know what I would do. Connect EDD to your Stripe account in seconds, and you’re done! Having a simple test mode toggle is also a valuable development tool.
Matt Whiteley – Whiteley Designs
Easy Digital Downloads is a verified member of the Stripe partner program. This program recognizes software that meets Stripe’s strict quality requirements and provides users of Easy Digital Downloads and Stripe with the confidence they need to trust thier business is secure.
Grow revenue with a Pass
With our Passes you can get access to additional features and super-charge your ecommerce business. Some of our most popular features in Pro are:
- Subscriptions allows store owners to sell recurring subscriptions for digital products using payment gateways like Stripe and PayPal.
- Reviews allows customers to leave reviews and feedback on the products they have purchased.
- Content Restriction allows site owners to restrict access to page content to paying customers.
- Software Licensing provides a complete solution for selling software license keys and distributing software updates to customers. Trusted by some of the most successful WordPress Theme and Plugin developers.
- Frontend Submissions transforms your store into a full-featured multi-vendor marketplace.
- Commissions enables store owners to easily track earnings for product vendors.
- Free Downloads allows you to give free products away as lead magnets.
- Recommended Products increases revenue by showing customers recommendations on additional products to purchase based on real sales data.
- Mailchimp connects your store to your Mailchimp account so you can easily subscribe customers to email lists based on which products they purchase.
These are just a few of the features available to help you optimize your digital store and increase revenue. See our complete list of extensions for more.
Powerful yet flexible
Extensible, adaptable, and open source — Easy Digital Downloads is created with designers and developers in mind. Consult our detailed developer documentation to learn how you can extend and customize your Easy Digital Downloads powered eCommerce store.
The Easy Digital Downloads API makes it possible for developers to make customizations such as:
- Modifying the checkout form
- Overriding default plugin behavior
- Generating custom e-Commerce reports
- Extending native features
- Creating new product page templates
- Integrating with other plugins and web applications
…and much much more!
As a developer, Easy Digital Downloads is very pleasant to work with since you can absolutely extend anything available within EDD.
Yudhistira Mauris – WP House
Easy Digital Downloads is backed by world-class technical support from our globally distributed full-time support team. We also have an extensive documentation site available. If you’re looking for faster support via email, we encourage you to purchase an Easy Digital Downloads pass.
EDD has been a long standing, rock-solid e-commerce solution for WordPress. The team lives and breathes WordPress, understands the platform, and is embedded in the community.
Joe Casabona – Creator Courses
From our blog
Check out some of our popular posts for actionable advice for running your business and selling digital files on the web.
- The 12 Most Popular Digital Products You Can Sell Online
- How to Add Lead Magnets in WordPress to Grow Your Email List
- How to Successfully Launch Your Digital Product
- How to Sell Canva Templates with WordPress
- The Astonishing Benefits of Selling Digital Products
Subscribe to our newsletter to get posts like these in your inbox as soon as they’re published.
Looking to change e-Commerce solutions?
Easy Digital Downloads is the perfect digital e-Commerce alternative to Etsy, Gumroad, WooCommerce, Shopfiy, BigCommerce, or Wix.
You can use Easy Digital Downloads to sell your digital products with less fees than Gumroad or Etsy, and create unlimited products, and never pay a listing fee.
If Easy Digital Downloads doesn’t quite fit your needs, we suggest you try WP Simple Pay.
WP Simple Pay is the #1 Stripe Payments Plugin for WordPress.
Easy Digital Downloads is a product by Sandhills Development, LLC. When writing about the digital eCommerce plugin by Easy Digital Downloads, please make sure to always reference us by full name before you use our short name of EDD.
Easy Digital Downloads (correct)
easy digital downloads (incorrect)
Edd (incorrect, this is our mascot’s name!)
Dieses Plugin unterstützt 11 Blöcke.
- EDD Registration Form Registration form for Easy Digital Downloads.
- EDD Order History Display the Easy Digital Downloads order history of a logged in user.
- EDD Login Form Login form for Easy Digital Downloads.
- EDD Receipt Show customers their detailed receipt. Supports guest orders.
- EDD Checkout Full checkout block for Easy Digital Downloads.
- EDD Download Terms Show categories, or tags for Easy Digital Download products.
- EDD Products A block to show your Easy Digital Download products based on visual customizations and query parameters.
- EDD User Downloads Allows a user to access the Easy Digital Downloads products they have purchased.
- EDD Confirmation A brief confirmation screen to show to customers immediately after a successful purchase.
- EDD Buy Button Quickly add a "buy now" button for any EDD product.
- EDD Cart Display a mini or full shopping cart outside of checkout for Easy Digital Downloads.
- Activate the plugin
- Complete the Onboarding Wizard
- Start selling your first product!
- For more detailed setup instructions, vist the official Documentation page.
Wo kann ich eine komplette Dokumentation finden?
Full searchable docs for Easy Digital Downloads and all our extensions can be found at https://easydigitaldownloads.com/docs
Where can I ask for help with my digital e-Commerce store?
You can submit a support ticket via the support forum at anytime.
Which file types can I sell?
Any file type can be sold using Easy Digital Downloads. You can sell .PDF, .DOC, .MP3, .MOV, .EPUB, .PSD, .MP4, .JPG, or any other extension which exists. On the product creation form, there is a file upload field which will accept any file type. Whatever file is uploaded to that field is the file customers will receive instantly when they complete a purchase.
How can I increase conversions?
Due to its popularity, many ecommerce tools have built direct integrations with Easy Digital Downloads, such as OptinMonster. With the direct EDD integration, you can optimize your sales funnel using OptinMonster’s display rules based on the customer’s EDD cart contents and conditions.
Is an SSL certificate required to sell digital products?
Easy Digital Downloads can function without an SSL certificate just fine, making it easy to set up in a testing or development environment. We still strongly recommend you have an SSL certificate for your live store, both for security and for the peace of mind of your customers. Documentation here
Welche Themes funktionieren mit Easy Digital Downloads?
While nearly any theme will work with Easy Digital Downloads, we’ve worked with industry-leading theme developers to curate a list of themes that are specifically written for Easy Digital Downloads.
Is there a sample import file I can use to setup a demo store?
Yes! Simply go to Tools > Import and install the WordPress Importer, then navigate to wp-content/plugins/easy-digital-downloads/assets/ and select the sample-products-import.xml file. This will create several sample products and plugin pages for you.
Can I import all the products from my existing store into EDD?
Yes! We do have a basic import solution that imports a CSV file, so if you can get your data into the appropriate format then we can import it.
How do I migrate from Gumroad?
Check out our guide on migrating to Easy Digital Downloads from Gumroad.
Wie zeige ich die Einkaufs-Historie des Benutzers an?
You can display your customer’s purchase history with the EDD Order History Block or if you prefer, you can show users a list of their available downloads with the EDD User Downloads block. Check out our documentation for more information about Easy Digital Download’s Blocks.
How do I display my digital products?
Easy Digital Downloads comes with a customizable WordPress Block, giving you the ability to display your products your way.
Kann ich ein Partnerprogramm einrichten?
Yes! EDD integrates directly with several affiliate platforms that provide complete affiliate systems you can use to award commissions to your affiliate marketers. This means when affiliates refer customers to you, and those customers buy your products, those affiliates earn a commission from you.
Kann ich meinen Kunden PDF-Rechnungen zum herunterladen zur Verfügung stellen?
Yes, with a Personal Pass, you can provide beautiful and downloadable invoices to your customers with the Invoices extension.
Are recurring payments (subscriptions) supported?
Yes, with an Extended Pass you get access to Recurring Payments. Full documentation here. The Recurring Payments extension allows you to create subscriptions so that customers continue paying you over time. This is great for selling memberships, courses, all access passes, software licenses, and other products which require an ongoing payment.
Mitwirkende & Entwickler
„Easy Digital Downloads – Sell Digital Files (eCommerce Store & Payments Made Easy)“ ist Open-Source-Software. Folgende Menschen haben an diesem Plugin mitgewirkt:Mitwirkende
„Easy Digital Downloads – Sell Digital Files (eCommerce Store & Payments Made Easy)“ wurde in 19 Sprachen übersetzt. Danke an die Übersetzerinnen und Übersetzer für ihre Mitwirkung.
Interessiert an der Entwicklung?
- Stripe: Resolved an issue that could cause card payments to fail when providing a Bank statement description with the
- Stripe: IMPORTANT! The Statement Description settings in the Stripe gateway settings are no longer editable. The description is now automatically pulled from the Stripe account settings.
- Stripe: Buy Now buttons could throw a PHP deprecation notice.
- API: Added an option to enable logging public API queries (API Requests without a key & token) for the EDD API.
- Downloads: Improved the reliability of the download file access checks.
- Downloads: Searching downloads via the dropdown could return incorrect results.
- PayPal: Improved the reliability of the PayPal Merchant Account Connection process.
- Taxes: Improved the reliability of the tax calculations for orders with multiple items.
- Checkout: The Legend for checkout form elements could display incorrectly in Safari.
- HTML: Introduced a new Toggle Checkbox Class.
- Reports: A fatal error could occur if you supplied an invalid Download ID to the reports URL.
- System: Prevent a fatal error and improve the gathering of site system information.
- Compatibility: Improved checkout compatibility with Wordfence.
View the full changelog at https://easydigitaldownloads.com/changelogs/plugin/easy-digital-downloads/
- Admin: Improved validation of saving some settings.
- API: Improved API Key management for admins, including showing the last time a key was used.
- Customers: Prevent updating a customer to have no email address.
- Downloads: Improved the consistency of the results of setting and getting a price option name.
- Downloads: Searching the downloads dropdown was not working correctly for international characters.
- Downloads: Improved download access validation.
- Fees: Improved the reliability of the fees and tax calculations.
- Orders: The Order Status Badge API now includes the order as a parameter on filters.
- Reports: Download Taxonomy reports have been improved for large data sets.
- Reports: Some timezones and date calculations were getting incorrect date ranges.
- Stripe: Improved mixed cart messaging.
- Checkout: Improved checkout block field handling for guest customers.
- Checkout: Login fields on checkout were incorrectly trying to process the checkout when hitting the ‚Enter‘ key.
- Admin: Better compatibility when loading EDD footer and documentation links for non-store admin pages.
- Admin: Custom EDD admin pages could throw an error if incorrectly filtered.
- Downloads: Improved handling of detecting download variable prices.
- Downloads: Custom product dropdown could incorrectly exclude the download being edited.
- Reports: The store dashboard widget revenue and sales stats sometimes parsed dates with an incorrect offset.
- Reports: Pie charts for revenue currency values were not correctly applying the currency symbol.
- Reports: Improve Export Product Sales accuracy.
- Compatibility: Further improve PHP 8.0+ support.
- Shortcodes: Some shortcode attributes were hardened before being output.
- Orders: Better handling of refunding orders.
- Stripe: Better error messages when some cart contents are not compatible with the Stripe gateway.
- Discounts: Ensure store discounts recorded for orders are unique.
- Compatibility: Improved compatibility with servers not configured with
- PayPal: Improved detection of PayPal order session handling and processing.
- Compatibility: Adds support for PHP 8.2.
- PayPal: Improve error handling of PayPal API responses.
- REST API: Download terms now have the featured images in the JSON response.
- Checkout: Improved the checkout block login and registration handling.
- Checkout: The legacy shortcode properly handles required fields.
- Emails: Improved sample data for the purchase confirmation preview.
- Refunds: Improved refund status handling and validation.
- Downloads: Bulk editing no longer clears prices.
- Downloads: Improved the ability to filter the ’supports buy now‘ for a download.
- Downloads: Reliability of the file download limits was improved.
- Settings: Encourage store owners to set a country to help prepare for upcoming features.
- Privacy: Enhanced the integration with the WordPress Privacy tools.
- Reports: Improved chart sizing to prevent overlap and overflow.
- Dates: Added a polyfill for servers without
- Support: Made links to support and documentation more accessible.
- Taxes: Corrected an issue with subscription updates when taxes are enabled.
- Registration: Fixed an issue with Recaptcha on the registration form.
- Block Editor: The user registration forms and lost password feature have been updated to allow customization via hooks.
- Stripe: Refunded payments initiated within the Stripe Dashboard now create a refund order in EDD.
- Cart: Improved product validation when adding an item to the cart.
- Emails: Admin payment & order notifications have been updated to allow further customization.
- Block Editor: Improved compatibility with themes and page builders.
- Payments: Ensure that tax rates are accurately stored when using legacy payment creation processes.
- Customers: Improved the performance and accuracy of checking if a user has previously made purchases.
- PayPal: The IPN Backup for PayPal was fixed to prevent a fatal error.
- PayPal: Improved the Buy Now with PayPal payments to bypass Checkout only when Buy Now is fully supported.
- PayPal: Improved the reliability of the PayPal IPN listener.
- Stripe: Improved the Buy Now with Stripe payments to bypass Checkout only when Buy Now is fully supported by the product.
- Stripe: The State/Region ensures that it is updated when the Country field is changed.
- Emails: Further improved the reliability of payment emails and admin payment notifications.
- Customers: Migrating the customer data from EDD 2.x to EDD 3.x is now more reliable.
- Customers: Existing guest customers can now use the EDD Registration form to create a user.
- Customers: Improved the customer email address detection and reliability.
- Payments: Updated the customer recent payments list to use the correct date format.
- Blocks: Improved the reliability of checkout when EDD Blocks or Gutenberg are disabled.
- Stripe: We’ve improved the error handling and informational messaging related to the Stripe Payments integration.
- PayPal: When new features are added to the PayPal integration, a background process attempts to register new payment endpoints automatically.
- API: Accessing the file download logs via the EDD API now supports querying by both customer ID and customer email address.
- Important: This release requires PHP 7.4 or higher and WordPress 5.8 or higher.
- Important: Amazon Pay has been formally deprecated and is no longer available for new installs. Existing stores using Amazon Pay are encouraged to explore other options.
- Compatibility: PHP 8.1 is now fully supported.
- Compatibility: To avoid conflicts with other plugins, critical vendor libraries have been moved to the EDD namespace.
- Compatibility: It was possible for sites with incompatible MySQL versions to not see the appropriate warnings.
- Compatibility: Attempting to activate a pass with an empty license key could appear to be stuck.
- Compatibility: Easy Digital Downloads is no longer registering the
- Compatibility: Code for old, unsupported versions of PHP has been removed.
- Discounts: Discount codes can now be applied to specific price variations.
- Discounts: A discount code can now be set to include or exclude specific download categories.
- Discounts: Store owners can now archive discount codes, to make managing their promotions simpler.
- Discounts: The discount list now has improved visibility for the status and usage of discounts.
- Discounts: Added hardening around viewing the adjustments list table.
- Discounts: Flat discount can result in an incorrect rounding total depending on the cart conditions.
- Discounts: Discount codes resulting in a 100% discount could restrict the cart from allowing the user to complete the purchase.
- Downloads: A new ‚Service‘ product type was added to the Product Type dropdown, to allow for non-downloadable products.
- Downloads: The bundle product metabox has been improved for performance on sites with many products.
- Downloads: The query for non-bundled products has been updated to be more performant, specifically when editing a download product.
- Stripe: Stripe could attempt to update a property that is not supported by the Stripe API.
- Stripe: Saved cards were not correctly saving for some users.
- Stripe: Update Stripe’s non-licensed application fee to 3%.
- Stripe: The application fee for Stripe payments is removed for pass holders who have access to the Stripe Pro extension even if they do not have Stripe Pro installed.
- Stripe: Stripe Payment Elements no longer supported a theme of ’none‘, and ’stripe‘ has been defaulted.
- Stripe: Regional support for Stripe now checks the Stripe account country before checking the store country.
- Stripe: The Stripe Payment Element now uses the browser’s locale for localization.
- Stripe: Easy Digital Downloads – Core now holds the Stripe base code, and Stripe Pro 3.0.0 only contains pro features.
- PayPal: PayPal Commerce orders where not always being completed when using the confirmation page.
- PayPal: New PayPal Commerce subscriptions might not be correctly marked as complete.
- Payments: Disputed payments in PayPal and Stripe set the order to a new ‚On Hold‘ status, and restrict access to downloads.
- Payments: When a payment is disputed with PayPal or Stripe, a link to the dispute is added to the view order details in the admin along with order notes.
- Payments: The date that the completed order actions were run is now stored as part of the order itself, not as metadata, and will be displayed more clearly on the order details screens. Existing meta will be migrated in the background; notifications will be updated to keep store owners advised of progress.
- Payments: A new
edd_after_order_actionshook has been introduced to manage all events which should happen when an order is created. This uses the order object for improved performance and any usage of
edd_after_payment_actionsshould be updated accordingly.
- Payments: Viewing the order details of a migrated order that had its discount deleted looked incomplete.
- Emails: Purchase receipts are now sent using deferred actions, to improve the performance of the payment processing.
- REST API: Site Health and telemetry now check the health of the REST API via a test endpoint.
- Block Editor: Easy Digital Downloads‘ block styles have been updated for non block themes to load only when the block is rendered.
- Block Editor: The EDD Products block now allows products to be filtered by author.
- Block Editor: EDD Blocks placeholder styles could interfere with WordPress Core placeholders.
- Performance: Many filters and hooks that passed
EDD_Paymentobjects now have a complementary hook or filter that uses
EDD\Orders\Orderobjects. Custom code should be updated for improved performance.
- Performance: Improved performance of checkout and customer lookups by conditionally running legacy hooks and filters that contained payment objects.
- Import: Using the Import tool could produce a fatal error.
- Customers: Recalculating a customer’s stats was not always being scheduled correctly.
- Cart: Malformed add to cart URLs could result in a PHP warning being thrown.
- Cart: When saving a cart with Stripe as the active gateway, the message stating the cart was saved was removed prematurely.
- Fees: Additional, not officially supported fee data is now stored as order adjustment metadata.
- i18n: 141 Additions, 199 Removals/Location Changes, 17 Differences (counts are approximate).