Mathilda is trying to give you back some control of your tweets. The plugin takes your tweets from twitter continuously and saves them into the WordPress database. The tweets can be displayed on the blog chronologically (but do not have to). Indeed, Twitter is also blogging, micro-blogging so to speak.
- Copy your tweets back
- Copy your tweeted images back
- Display your tweets on the blog
- Shows basic tweet statistics
- Import your complete tweet history
- Export your tweets as CSV file
- Plugin Healthy Check
- Languague: English, German (only FrontEnd)
- Register your Mathilda-Instance as Twitter-Application for API Access apps.twitter.com
- Activate the plugin in WordPress
- Maintain OAUTH Access Token, OAUTH Access Token Secret, Consumer Key, Consumer Secret and your Twitter Account in the settings
- Run the initial load (Tools/Tweets) – this will take several minutes
- Create a WordPress page (page slug must match the mathilda slug)
How to setup Mathilda?
Screencast Video (German)
You know the game! Mathilda can not assure that it looks fine on your theme. That is why all mathilda UI elements can be addressed with individual CSS selectors. Please use your debugger to find the right classes.
Data & Files
Mathilda creates 4 folders within wp-content/uploads.
- mathilda-twitterapi = Archive of the Twitter API data
- mathilda-images = Tweet Image Folder
- mathilda-export = Export Directory
- mathilda-import = Import Directory
Mathilda Cron Jobs @ WordPress
- Autoload Tweets (every 15 minutes, customizable)
- Get Embedding Code from External Source (every 15 minutes, customizable)
- Upload plugin folder to /wp-content/plugins/ or download plugin directly via WordPress
- Activate the plugin through the Plugins menu in WordPress
- Follow the configuration manual > See other Notes
- Which Tweets are displayed in the blog?
Mathilda focuses on the core functionality of Twitter meaning only Text-Tweets, Images, Hashtags, Mentions and Links are displayed. Image Series, Surveys, Quotes, Videos and GEO-Locations are not or only partly supported.
- Why does Mathilda not support Retweets or Quotes?
Retweets are not your data. That is why we do not show them. The same is valid for quotes.
- Will the tweets be loaded automaticly?
Yes. But the first load must be done manually (Tools/Tweets/Load Tweets). Otherwise the autoload will not activated.
- How often will the tweets be loaded?
As Standard your tweets will be fetched from Twitter every 15 minutes. But you can define the period in minutes different in the plugin settings.
- What is the difference between Load and Import?
Load takes your tweets online through the Twitter API and saves them into the WordPress Database regularly. The Import takes your tweets from the files of your Twitter Archieve and saves them into the WordPress Database. For this, you must download your archieve from Twitter before.
- What do I have to do first, run the cron or import my tweets?
All the same. It works both. Mathilda is flexible. But the autoload will only be activated with an initial cron. In addition import is only required if you have posted more than 3200 tweets.
- How can I import my tweet history?
Twitter API provides access to your 3200 latest tweets. If you have not written more, the import is not required. To import your tweets, you must download your tweet archive from Twitter (Profile/Settings/Your Twitter Data). Your archive contains the folder „data/js/tweets“. Upload the containing files to „www.yourblog.com/wp-content/uploads/mathilda-import/“. Now you can run the import (Tools/Tweets).
- How does Mathilda handle the canonical URL?
Mathilda does not modify the existing canonical url handling in WordPress. If you want to change the canonical url you must control that with a SEO plugin.
- What have to be considered with the usage of caching plugins?
The length of the cron period in combination with the configuration of caching determines how early a tweet will be displayed within the blog. If a tweet should be displayed as early as possible, the caching must be deactivated for the page with tweets.
- Does Mathila support extended tweets?
Mathilda does support extended tweets with version 0.7 of the plugin. Extended tweets were introduced by Twitter in mid of 2016. Extended tweets are having more as 140 characters, which is allowed in specific cases.
- Why require some updates a reset of the plugin and reload of the data?
The plugin is an early stage of development. It is still a long way to the first stable 1.0 version. To avoid data inconsistency and process errors some updates require a reload of the data. Sometime Mathilda will have an maturity level, which does not require such resets anymore.
- Does Mathilda support WordPress Multisite?
No. Mathilda does not support the WordPress Multisite Feature. The plugin is working on the master-site, but is not working on all other child sites within the wordpress network.
- I have activated Link Content Embed, but no linked content will be embedded.
The embedded content will be retrieved and generated every 15 minutes (or with the same period as the autoload of the tweets). If you have activated embed content for the first time, it takes 15 minutes latest until the changes appear.
Pretty nice feature set and works well too.
Mitwirkende & Entwickler
„Mathilda“ ist Open-Source-Software. Folgende Menschen haben an diesem Plugin mitgewirkt.Mitwirkende
- March 2017
- Feature: Support of Extended Tweets (Extended API Mode)
- Feature: Full oEmbed Support
- Feature: Embedding Cache for better Performance
- Enhancement: Truncate Check added in Plugin Healthy Check
- Enhancement: Highlighting of Warnings and Errors in Plugin Healthy Check
- Enhancement: Embed Yes or No Option in the Plugin Settings
- Enhancement: Links within the Plugin Entry on the Plugins Overview
- Enhancement: Documentation of Tweet Source
- Bugfix: Mathilda Multisite Support Notice on Child Sites
- February 2017
- Bugfix: Mathilda works now with the Yoast SEO Plugin
0.6 „Poison Ivy“
- February 2017
- Feature: YouTube Embedding
- Feature: Plugin Reset
- Enhancement: Fetches Meta Data from Twitter API to enable better Processing
- Enhancement: Reporting on Retweets, Replies and Quotes
- Enhancement: Update Notices
- Enhancement: Data Consistency Verification in Plugin Healthy Check
- Enhancement: Check on allow_url_fopen in Plugin Healthy Check
- Enhancement: Additional Processing Information in Plugin Healty Check
- Enhancement: Include or Exclude Quotes from Mathilda Loop
- Enhancement: Expert Settings
- Bugfix: Display Images in original Width
- Bugfix: Hide Bottom Navigation, if Navigation is not required
- January 2017
- Feature: Dashboard Widget with statistic Information about Tweet Data
- Feature: Hyperlink Rendering Option (Shortlink or Reallink)
- Feature: Support of Line Breaks within Tweets
- Feature: Option to deactivate Mathilda CSS
- Bugfix: Initial Cron has not started in some cases
- Bugfix: Display correct Time if local TimeZone is defined with UTC-Offset
- Bugfix: CSS Class for Image Alignment
- Improvement: Twitter API Access optimized
- Security: Call of Mathilda Functions without WordPress is not possible anymore
- July 2016
- Bugfix: Fallback, if local TimeZone is not defined in the WordPress settings
- July 2016
- Bugfix: Handling of blanks if the tweet contains a URL and does not end with it
- July 2016
- Feature: Custom Mathilda Cron Period
- Feature: Additional Bottom Navigation Type
- Enhancement: W3C Validated HTML Code
- Enhancement: W3C Validated CSS Code
- Enhancement: Latest Plugin Code now available on GitHub
- Bugfix: Display Tweets on pages with blank in the name
- Bugfix: Hide Navigation if only a few tweets available
- Bugfix: Flush Rewrite Rules, only if Slug is changed
- June 2016
- Feature: Replies are supported
- Feature: Update process for upcoming plugin updates
- Feature: Localization German @ FrontEnd
- Feature: Mathilda Handbook is integrated
- Enhancement: Support of TimeZones and WordPress Local Date
- Enhancement: Advise before inital load and import
- Enhancement: Preventing Timeouts during Import/Cron Runtime
- Enhancement: Autoflush Rewrite Rules if Slug was changed
- Enhancement: Result Page for Plugin Healthy Check
- Enhancement: Healthy Check outputs PHP Max Execution Time
- Enhancement: Better Mathilda Development UI
- Enhancement: More Developer Settings
- Bugfix: File Counting during Import
- Bugfix: HTML Correction Import/Cron Output
- Bugfix: Finish Message added for Cron
- Bugfix: Healthy Check verifys Import Folder
- Bugfix: Mention links to Twitter Profile
- Late May 2016
- Replacement of WebCron with WP-Cron
- Import Script is changed from external script to WordPress Function
- First Version published at WordPress Plugin Directory
- May 2016
- Initial Release