add_shortcode, Shortcake supplies a user-friendly interface for adding a shortcode to a post, and viewing and editing it from within the content editor.
To report bugs or feature requests, please use Github issues.
Running tests locally
Jasmine tests can be run using
grunt jasmine and are also run as part of the
grunt scripts task. To update the core WordPress files used by the Jasmine test suite, run
grunt updateJasmineCoreScripts --abspath="/path/to/wordpress-install".
Shortcake can be installed like any other WordPress plugin.
Once you’ve done so, you’ll need to register the UI for your code.
- How do I register UI for arbitrary key=>value pairs as shortcode attributes?
Shortcake doesn’t support custom key=>value pairs as shortcode attributes because it isn’t a great user experience.
Totally messes up Woocommerce when installed.
Unuseable with WooCommerce. Fix this, and I will change review.
Straightforward, easy to use, easy to understand when one checks the source code. Better documentation wouldn’t hurt. Anyway five of five thanks.
Loving Shortcake for development!
I’m finding it quite extensible and have just started to create custom fields for my post elements.
In future I would love to see nested shortcodes support, that said, for everything I would love to see improved, right now it is already proving to be amazing (so still 5 star worthy).
Lets get this to core ASAP!!
Hoping for further development so that the interface can improve.
There is no shortcode option in the media dialog.
Mitwirkende & Entwickler
„Shortcake (Shortcode UI)“ ist Open-Source-Software. Folgende Menschen haben an diesem Plugin mitgewirkt.Mitwirkende
Interessiert an Entwicklung?
0.7.1 (December 16, 2016)
- Change shortcode formatting to add a space before the self-closing trailing slash.
- Fix alignment of attachment previews with long filenames.
- Bug fix: Set an initial value on select fields (previously, no value would be set for a select field unless the user interacts with the field).
- Enhancement/fix: Reuse one copy of the media modal and reset its state upon closing, rather than creating duplicate markup each time the modal is accessed.
- Compatability: Uses „full“ version of select2.js 4.0.3 to prevent plugin conflicts with other plugins which expect the full version to be enqueued.
- Compatability: Add
SELECT2_NOCONFLICTflag to load Select2 in a unique namespace to prevent conflicts with other plugins which are loading select2.js version 3.
- Added Norwegian translation.
- Multiple coding style fixes.
0.7.0 (November 18, 2016)
- Adds „Add post element“ button to media buttons – one click to open the shortcode list, rather than clicking „Add media“ button and then finding „insert post element“ in the menu.
- Added „Term Select“ field type.
- Added „User Select“ field type.
- Select fields: add full support for multiple select fields.
- Select fields: support custom ordering of options.
- Select fields: support grouping option in
<optgroup>s by passing them as a nested array.
- Attachment fields: support multiple selection.
- Attachment fields: support SVG images (if svg uploads are enabled by a plugin or theme).
- Bug fix: Handle percent signs when decoding fields with
- Bug fix: fix issue where it takes two clicks on a shortcode in editor to bring up the Edit Shortcode modal.
- Bug fix: fix issue when searching for shortcodes by name where if multiple shortcodes start with the search string, only the first is returned.
- Bug fix: only output a description field on an attribute if it’s not empty.
- Compatability: Remove shims for handling the media modal in WP 4.1 and 4.2.
- Compatability: Upgrade Select2 library to 4.0.3 to avoid conflicts with other plugins which use the latest version of Select2.
- Added Turkish translation.
- Added Finnish translation.
- Added Swedish translation.
- Added Hungarian translation.
0.6.2 (November 12, 2015)
- Bug fix: Listens for „change“ event on radio buttons and checkboxes to ensure shortcode attributes are updated.
- Bug fix: Ensures
register_shortcode_uiis always run before calling get_shortcodes(). Fixes post select AJAX callback when using
0.6.1 (November 9, 2015)
- Corrects links in readme.
0.6.0 (November 2, 2015)
- Supports an optional
encode=trueargument for attributes, to allow limited HTML support. Attributes need to be run through
shortcode_atts()in order to be properly decoded.
- Defines a
SHORTCODE_UI_DOING_PREVIEWconstant when rendering a shortcode preview, which enables callbacks to serve a different representation of the shortcode in TinyMCE.
- When an attachment is already selected for a shortcode attribute, opening media library will include it selected.
- Cleaned up icon vertical alignment in the Insert Post Element UI.
- Added CSS utility classes to all field HTML. For instance, the attachment field is now wrapped with
- Added filters to modify shortcode UI arguments on registration.
- Cleaned up the example plugin, so it’s a much more useful developer reference.
- Permits HTML in field labels and descriptions.
- Added Danish translation.
- Added Italian translation.
- Added German translation.
- Core integration: Fully supports PHP 5.2.
- Bug fix: Persists shortcode attributes and inner content when there isn’t UI registered for them. Previously, they would be discarded.
- Bug fix: Display the description on the post select field.
- Bug fix: Attribute field change event binds to
inputevent rather than
- Full release notes
0.5.0 (August 26, 2015)
- Attachment field: Made it easier to change the attachment by clicking on the thumbnail; added attachment metadata in the field view.
- Added a
- Introduced a
register_shortcode_uihook for plugins to more safely register UI with.
- Removed Preview tab to bring Shortcake’s user experience closer to Core, in which the inline visual preview is preferred over a separate preview in the media modal.
- Added Russian translation.
- Added Portuguese translation.
- Added PHPDoc to all classes.
- Bug fix: Persists
inner_contentfor a shortcode even when UI isn’t defined.
- Bug fix: Hitting esc in a Shortcake view will now close the modal. (Fixed in Core.)
- Bug fix: Hitting delete when a Shortcake preview is selected in the Visual editor now results in the shortcode being removed. (Fixed in Core.)
- Bug fix: The Shortcake ’search‘ function no longer visually conflicts with the shortcode grid at small screen sizes. (Fixed in Core.)
- Bug fix: Use
get_current_screen()->post_typeso context is properly set on the frontend.
- Full release notes
0.4.0 (June 22, 2015)
- Using carldanley/wp-js-hooks for a basic API to register JS callbacks on shortcode attributes.
- Attachment field uses a loading indicator when the preview for an attachment is loading.
- Added Chinese translation.
- Added French translation.
- Added Spanish translation.
- Bug fix: Prevents fataling when editor is loaded in the frontend context.
- Bug fix: Color field also supports
- Bug fix: Removes trailing whitespace from shortcodes without attributes.
- Bug fix: Removes double slash in editor css path.
- Full release notes
0.3.0 (April 27, 2015)
- Breaking change: We’ve removed the compatibility shim for the magical
contentattribute. If you were using this to support editing inner content, you’ll need to change your UI registration to use
post_selectfield type for selecting from a list of posts. Supports an additional
queryparameter to modify the search query.
- Using a new
post_typeargument, shortcode UI can be registered for specific post types. This is helpful if you want the UI for a given shortcode to only appear on specific post types.
- For each shortcode attribute, a
metaargument can be specified to add arbitrary HTML attributes to the field. We’ve added a compatibility shim for the existing
placeholderargument. This compatibility shim will be removed in v0.4.
- When inserting a shortcode, UI shows a helpful message when the shortcode doesn’t have attributes to configure. Previously, the user was presented with a relatively blank screen.
- Our example plugin can be activated through the WordPress admin.
- Clicking „Insert Post Element“ in the left menu effectively acts as back button to selecting a shortcode.
- Language around the editing experience reflects the shortcode you’re editing. For instance, with a pullquote shortcode, „Edit Post Element“ becomes „Edit Pullquote“.
- Added Dutch translation.
- PHP files are scanned using PHP_CodeSniffer.
- Bug fix: Unquoted shortcode attributes are properly supported.
- Bug fix: Attachment field properly registers dependencies.
- Bug fix: „Insert Post Element“ experience should work when visual editor is disabled. Shortcake is only loosely coupled with TinyMCE.
- Bug fix: Editor styles are loaded on
after_setup_themeto prevent fatals.
- Full release notes.
0.2.3 (April 8, 2015)
- Fix WP 4.1 backwards compatibility issue by restoring arguments passed to TinyMCE view compatibility shim.
0.2.2 (April 6, 2015)
- Update arguments passed to TinyMCE View Render for WP 4.2 compatibility. Previously passed argument wasn’t necessary, so removing doesn’t break backwards compatibility.
0.2.1 (March 18, 2015)
- Ensure use of jQuery respects jQuery.noConflict() mode in WP.
0.2.0 (March 18, 2015)
- JS abstracted using Browserify.
- Enhancements to „Add Post Element“ UI: shortcodes sorted alphabetically; search based on label.
- Much easier to select shortcode previews that include iframes.
- WordPress 4.2 compatibility.
- Added color picker to list of potential fields.
- Bug fix: IE11 compatibility.
- Bug fix: Checkbox field can now be unchecked.
- Full release notes.
0.1.0 (December 23, 2014)
- Supports all HTML5 input types for form fields.
- Shortcode preview tab within the editing experience.
}* Re-labeled the UI around “Post Elements”, which is more descriptive than “Content Items.”
- Many bug fixes.
- Full release notes.