The UpdraftPlus Backup & Migration Plugin is trusted by the WordPress community to backup, restore and migrate their WordPress websites. UpdraftPlus is actively installed on more than 3 million websites around the world.
Backup with UpdraftPlus
UpdraftPlus is the world’s highest ranking and most popular scheduled backup and migration plugin. Backup to your preferred storage location and restore in just three clicks.
Backup to Dropbox, Google Drive, Amazon S3 (or compatible), Rackspace Cloud, FTP, DreamObjects, Openstack Swift or email.
The paid version also allows you to backup to Microsoft OneDrive, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, Backblaze B2, SFTP, SCP, pCloud, WebDAV or UpdraftVault, our integrated storage option for UpdraftPlus.
Backup manually or schedule to run every 2, 4, 8 or 12 hours, daily, weekly, monthly or fortnightly.
Restore with UpdraftPlus
Your WordPress website is vulnerable. Your site may get hacked. Something could go wrong with an update or your server could crash. You might need to reverse a change made or a mistake caused by human error.
Whatever the reason, you can restore your WordPress website in just a few clicks with UpdraftPlus. Choose which components to restore (e.g. plugins, themes, database etc.), click again to restore, then click again to return to the main screen.
Migrate with UpdraftPlus
It’s easy to migrate your WordPress website to another web host, server or domain with this free version of UpdraftPlus.
To migrate, simply download your database, plugins, themes etc. from the source site, then upload them into your destination site.
When migrating, a built-in search-and-replace engine identifies old strings and replaces these to reflect the new location. UpdraftPlus saves you time and reduces the risk of broken links or missing files associated with manual migrations.
Writing a reliable backup and migration plugin that ‘just works’ consistently across millions of different WordPress deployments is hard. UpdraftPlus is relied upon to do exactly that. We’re trusted and actively deployed on more websites around the world than any other WordPress backup and migration plugin.
- Backs up, migrates and restores
- Offers a huge number of remote storage locations
- Allows you to schedule backups, so you can ‘set and forget’
- Is comprehensive and easy to use
- Is proven to work on over 3 million sites.
The free version of UpdraftPlus will back up and migrate your website perfectly well. However if you need more features and options you can purchase our Premium version.
Backup and Migrate with UpdraftPlus Premium, and:
Get automatic backups before updates. Restore the very latest version if a WordPress or plugin update breaks your site.
Backup Incrementally. Changes are added to the master, saving server resources vs repeatedly backing up in full.
Get more remote storage options including Microsoft OneDrive, SFTP, Microsoft Azure, WebDAV, Google Cloud, SCP, Backblaze and pCloud.
Get 1GB of integrated storage with UpdraftVault for 99.999% reliability, redundancy and scalability.
Get more control over how many backups are stored in a specified interval.
Restore from other backup plugins including BackWPup, BackupWordPress, Simple Backups and more.
Run backups at set times e.g. during periods of low traffic.
Backup to more than one location for added protection.
Get detailed reports. Includes cryptographic checksums so you can verify the integrity of the backup files and more.
Get Premium migration. Migrating to the destination site is more direct and can be done from the source site.
Get Multisite / multi-network compatibility.
Backup non-WP files and databases e.g. tables belonging to your e-commerce store or customisations to WordPress core.
Get database encryption.
Manage your backups and migrations from the WP-CLI.
Get Premium Support.
Managing multiple websites?
UpdraftCentral is a powerful remote control dashboard for WordPress that allows you to manage your backups, as well as updates, users, pages, posts, plugins and themes from one central location. Choose between:
- UpdraftCentral (free, self-hosted)
- UpdraftCentral Premium (paid-for, self-hosted)
- UpdraftCentral Cloud (paid-for, fully-hosted)
Optimize your sites centrally by combining the power of WP-Optimize and UpdraftCentral or manage your backups centrally by combining the power of UpdraftPlus with UpdraftCentral.
Need to create a temporary clone of your site?
UpdraftClone makes it quick and easy to create a temporary sandbox for changes you want to try out. Simply select the versions of WordPress and PHP that you want, and we’ll do the rest. More about UpdraftClone
The full suite of plugins from Team Updraft and friends
Backup, migrate and restore. Rated 5* on the plugin directory and trusted by more than 3 million WordPress website owner
Clean the database, compress images and caching. Optimize your WordPress website. 5* user rating. 1 million + active installs.
All-In-One Security (AIOS).
Secure your WordPress website. Comprehensive, feature rich and easy to use. 5* user rating and 1 million + active installs.
Quality Extensions for your WooCommerce store. 5* rated invoicing, order and product management, customer management solutions and more.
Easy Updates Manager.
Take control of updates. Lots of features for free, and a Premium version with even more – over 300,000 users.
Internal Link Juicer.Boost your SEO. Automate internal links within your WordPress website. Save time and rank higher in the search engines.
For other useful, free plugins see our lead developer’s profile, here.
Are you multilingual? Can you translate?
Do you want to help people that speak your language to backup, migrate and restore their WordPress websites?
The UpdraftPlus backup, migration and restoration plugin is ready and waiting. The translation process is easy, and web-based – please go here for instructions: https://updraftplus.com/translate/.
Or, if you’re already an expert WordPress translator, just pick out the .pot file from the wp-content/plugins/updraftplus/languages/ directory – if you scan for translatable strings manually, then you need to get these functions: _x(), __(), _e(), _ex(), log_e().
Many thanks to our existing translators.
Copyright 2011-23 David Anderson
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA
Non-English translators are provided by volunteers, and wordpress.org does not give plugin developers control over their translations; thus relying on them is at your own risk; UpdraftPlus cannot guarantee that translations from the original English are accurate.
We recognise and thank those mentioned at https://updraftplus.com/acknowledgements/ for code and/or libraries used and/or modified under the terms of their open source licences.
How do I install the UpdraftPlus backup & migration plugin?
Was, wenn ich ein Problem habe oder Unterstützung benötige?
If you’re struggling to backup, migrate or restore there’s help available.
Search existing topics on the WordPress support forum or post a new one. Our support and development teams check and respond to queries everyday.
UpdraftPlus Premium customers can log a ticket directly with our support and development teams via the UpdraftPlus support hub.
Before you get in touch, please ensure that you have read through our <a href=https://updraftplus.com/frequently-asked-questions/“>FAQs and that you’ve updated to the latest release of our plugin.
It helps greatly if you can include the backup log and as much other information as possible in your report, for example the PHP version, your website, the error description, how you got to the page that caused it, any other relevant plugins you have installed, plus any other information that might be of use.
To find the backup log: there are links to download the logs on the UpdraftPlus settings page in the plugin – or you may be emailed it. Failing that, FTP into the directory wp-content/updraft and look for it there.
If you know how, please send your PHP error logs – just the few lines that appear when you run a backup, often the file called error_log, possibly in your wp-admin directory which you can check via FTP. If you’re a programmer that can debug and send a patch, that’s even better.
When it comes to migration, what does the premium plugin do that the free plugin can’t?
Migrating in the free plugin involves downloading the backups from the source site then uploading these to the destination site.
To find the backup log: there are links to download the logs on the UpdraftPlus settings page- or you may be emailed it. Failing that, FTP into the directory wp-content/updraft and look for it there.
Both free and Premium plugins include a built-in search-and-replace engine to replace old strings with the new location.
If migration is all you require, and for simple single site migrations the free plugin will likely be enough to meet your needs. If you have additional needs around backups e.g. the ability to backup before updates, if you require more remote storage locations or if you have a WordPress multisite then we recommend UpdraftPlus Premium for the additional benefits that it brings.
UpdraftPlus läuft in eine Zeitüberschreitung, wenn es versucht zu sichern, nachdem ich es für einige Zeit in Ruhe gelassen habe. Was kann ich tun?
This problem is probably caused by your account being starved of resources by your (cheap) web host provider. This is far from ideal; although UpdraftPlus supports resuming backup runs right from the beginning to avoid everything having to be done at once, it has its limits. The best thing is to choose a more reputable web host. Failing this, try going into the “Expert settings” and reducing the size at which zip files are split. UpdraftPlus is known to successfully backup websites that run into the multiple-gigabytes on web servers that are not resource-starved.
Mitwirkende & Entwickler
„UpdraftPlus: WordPress Backup & Migration Plugin“ ist Open-Source-Software. Folgende Menschen haben an diesem Plugin mitgewirkt:Mitwirkende
„UpdraftPlus: WordPress Backup & Migration Plugin“ wurde in 34 Sprachen übersetzt. Danke an die Übersetzerinnen und Übersetzer für ihre Mitwirkung.
Interessiert an der Entwicklung?
The UpdraftPlus backup blog is the best place to learn in more detail about any important changes.
N.B. Paid versions of UpdraftPlus Backup / Restore have a version number which is 1 higher in the first digit, and has an extra component on the end, but the changelog below still applies. i.e. changes listed for 1.16.32.x of the free version correspond to changes made in 2.16.32.x of the paid version.
The UpdraftPlus backup blog is the best place to learn in more detail about any important changes.
N.B. Paid versions of UpdraftPlus Backup / Restore have a version number which is 1 higher in the first digit, and has an extra component on the end, but the changelog below still applies. i.e. changes listed for 1.23.1.x of the free version correspond to changes made in 2.23.1.x of the paid version.
1.24.1 – 21/Feb/2024
- FEATURE: Implement Backblaze Object Lock support (Premium version)
- FIX: The email backup and basic report setting didn’t work causing notification email confirming backup status couldn’t be delivered to admin’s email address (free version)
- FIX: Fix WP-Optimize premium discovery for UpdraftCentral
- FIX: Regression in 1.23.16 for correcting calls to translation functions which then caused some HTML attributes to be empty
- FIX: Restoring backup sets via Migrate/Clone tab had caused all associated backup entities being downloaded immediately ignoring user preferences about the entities they wanted to restore
- FIX: Third-party library conflict (phpseclib) with WP All Import Pro and AIO WP Migration plugins that caused failure in testing SFTP credentials and backing up to the SFTP remote storage
- FIX: Restore compatibility with WordPress multisite running on versions < 4.9 caused by use of function not present before then
- TWEAK: Add new translation entries for UpdraftCentral
- TWEAK: Got rid of PHP 8.2 deprecation messages caused by a null value being passed to the htmlspecialchars() function and creation of dynamic property
- TWEAK: Got rid of PHP 8.3 deprecation messages caused by calling get_class() without arguments.
- TWEAK: Refactor methods in UpdraftPlus_Database_Utility class
- TWEAK: Send an email if the backup directory is not writable.
- TWEAK: Add and set the
filename_onlyparameter to reduce search times when looking for specific backup files in Dropbox.
- TWEAK: Autoload PHP secure communication library (phpseclib) in a better way that would prevent already-loaded phpseclib classes (by other plugin) from being used in certain operations
- TWEAK: Add updraftplus_backup_db_header_append filter to allow site owners to include arbitrary content in their database backup header
1.23.16 – 23/Dec/2023
- TWEAK: Added demo link for the family plugin in advertisement
- TWEAK: Removed https / http prefix from s3generic endpoints
- TWEAK: Resolve PHP 8.0 compatibility with ob_implicit_flush function
- TWEAK: Dropbox error logs improvement
- TWEAK: As required by the wordpress.org plugin team, all UpdraftPlus news is forbidden to be displayed in the „WordPress News“ section of the dashboard for users of the free plugin even if consent is first given.
- TWEAK: Fix some incorrect calls to translation functions
1.23.14 – 30/Nov/2023
- FIX: Resolved Google Cloud remote storage authentication flow
- TWEAK: Changed updraftvault links functionality to open in different tab
- TWEAK: Clarify significance of warnings in report emails
- TWEAK: Make the news-consent’s layer fit with the confirmation text thus removing empty space that can reveal some of the UpdraftPlus news
- TWEAK: Declare a shim „php_uname“ function when it’s found to be undefined to prevent a fatal error in the phpseclib library (which calls it)
1.23.13 – 22/Nov/2023
- FIX: An issue that prevented incremental backups from running via WP-CLI or Cron when the option to backup mu-plugins was enabled but no mu-plugins existed
- FIX: OneDrive remote storage authentication was giving the error „Invalid input.“
- FIX: The option to back up additional, user-chosen files (i.e. the morefiles entity) was no longer present in the UI
- TWEAK: Remove unused „migrator-lite.php“ string during search and replace operations
- TWEAK: Replace remaining hardcoded text domain with UPDRAFTCENTRAL_TEXT_DOMAIN placeholder within the central folder
- TWEAK: LiteSpeed admin dashboard warning is now displayed upon completion of migration on the destination site, even after dismissing the message on the source site.
- TWEAK: Do not show UpdraftPlus news in the WordPress events and news widget section without first gaining user consent
- TWEAK: Change order of checks when seeing if cPanel is present/accessible for asking about disk quota in order to prevent unwanted an PHP notice when safe_mode is active
- TWEAK: Prevent potential fatal error if something has modified an updates check’s ‚translation‘ property to be invalid before passing on to UpdraftPlus
- TWEAK: Update bundled cacert.pem file
1.23.12 – 08/Nov/2023
- FIX: Issue that prevented some database restores from completing due to a change in wpdb in WordPress 6.4
1.23.11 – 03/Nov/2023
- SECURITY: Fix a vulnerability which could, if you had Google Drive storage enabled, and if an attacker targetted a logged-in administrator on your site and persuaded them to access a specific URL that the attacker creates, add the attacker’s own Google Drive account to the saved storage methods. Thanks to Nicolas Decayeux of Patrowl for finding and disclosing this issue.
- FEATURE: Add JSTree for Google Drive to select existing folder
- FEATURE: The „Must-use plugins“ backup entity can be backed up and restored separately in a normal WordPress site
- FIX: OneDrive folder case sensitivity issue (successfully uploaded backup files to the remote storage but failed in pruning old backup files due to different letter capitalisation; also happened in manual deletions)
- FIX: When two instances of WebDav remote storage were sequentially added in the Premium version, filling some fields of the latest instance would break the WebDav URL of the previous instance
- TWEAK: Update phpseclib library from version 1 to 2. As previously advised, this also means that these features (Database Encryption, Dropbox & SFTP/SCP remote storage, and UpdraftCentral key creations) will no longer be available and can cause a fatal error when running on PHP 5.2
- TWEAK: Add a link to Trustpilot in the review prompt
- TWEAK: Added a warning message when the WP_HTTP_BLOCK_EXTERNAL is defined and set to true
- TWEAK: Added the „Copy to clipboard“ button under the self-hosted central option
- TWEAK: File size is shown when pressing on the backup entity
- TWEAK: Fix the restore dialog to not display „plugins“ checkbox when only there’s „mu-plugins“ entity
- TWEAK: Fixed PHP 8.2 deprecation messages caused by a null value being passed to the rtrim() function
- TWEAK: Resolve PHP deprecations for the dynamic property access by declaring the variables in the class
- TWEAK: Includes the plugin.php file path if „get_mu_plugins“ function does not exist.
- TWEAK: Provide default options for function UpdraftPlus::backup_all()
- TWEAK: Add and call the
litespeed_finish_request()function to ensure the HTTP connection made from the browser gets closed immediately without having to wait the process to complete thus leaving it run in the background
- TWEAK: Ensure no PHP „Class not found“ is showing up during credentials testing
- TWEAK: Add type checking in UpdraftPlus::handle_url_actions() to prevent plugin conflicts causing PHP errors on PHP 8+
1.23.10 – 05/Sep/2023
- TWEAK: New S3 signature version setting is added to the S3-Compatible (Generic) configuration form, giving an opportunity for the user to choose which signature version to use (SigV2 or SigV4)
- TWEAK: Enable PHP 8.3 (see: https://stitcher.io/blog/new-in-php-83) support in UpdraftClone
- TWEAK: Adjust fread() sizes for better performance when uploading an archive via the widget
1.23.9 – 14/Aug/2023
- FIX: Fatal error of Uncaught ArgumentCountError when the UpdraftPlus settings page is browsed from an IP-adressed site (i.e. no hostname) on PHP 7.1+
- FIX: Incorrect caching mechanism such that when multiple Google Drive storage back-ends were in use (Premium feature), uploading to a storage would fail due to unmatched folder ID taken from a different storage instance
- TWEAK: Define class properties in UpdraftPlus_Addons_Migrator class for PHP 8.2 compatibility
1.23.8 – 08/Aug/2023
- FEATURE: Given the basic migration feature in the free plugin
- FIX: Content-MD5 and any V2-related headers were always included in the S3’s V4 SignedHeaders even though the headers were not presented in a HTTP request
- FIX: Generating URL-encoded queries for a canonical request should have used a method/mechanism which encoded query values according to RFC 3986 (for consistency and for not breaking the code)
- FIX: Search / replace database not working on Admin dashboard > Settings > UpdraftPlus Backups > Advanced Tools > Search / replace database on PHP 8.2 due to stricter type checking
- FIX: A newly added subsite that was restored from a normal site to the multisite was not listed in the site …